Friday, March 19, 2010

Shake Your Shaker!

I can't take credit for this cute little shaker. One of my sons' friends has one and I decided to make a couple for my sons.

Materials:
-empty can with a removable lid (I used a small container of Planter's peanuts)
-beads (or anything else that will make a noise when you shake it)
-1/4 yard fur fabric
-1/4 yard felt (in same color as fur fabric)
-glue gun
-glue sticks
-googly eyes

First, I washed and dried the empty peanut can, filled it with beads and hot glued the lid onto it. I didn't want to fill the shaker with rice because that seemed a little unsanitary to me. Does rice mold? I'm not sure, but I don't want to find out.

Then, I cut out 2 circles from the felt that were about 1" in diameter larger than the top of my can. I hot glued one felt circle to the top of the can, folding any excess felt over the side of the can and hot gluing it into place. I repeated this process on the bottom of the can.

Next, I cut out a piece of fur that was about 2" taller than the can and about 1" longer than I needed to wrap it around the can. Warning: the fur fabric will really shed if you have any unfinished edges. I laid the piece of fur on the table and centered the can over it. I folded over the edges about 1" on the top and bottom (so that the fur would be exactly as tall as the can) and hot glued the "hem" in place. Then I wrapped the fur around the can, hot gluing it to the can as I wrapped it around, folded over the excess fur and "hemmed" it using hot glue. I hot glued on the googly eyes and viola -- you have a shaker!

No comments: